The following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How can I replace my lost medals?

A. Veterans are entitled to one replacement set of their medals.  We recommend you use the standard form SF 180 Request Pertaining to Military Records to request medals and awards. Provide as much information as possible and send the form to:

Bureau of Naval Personnel Liaison Office
Room 5409, 9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Q. How can I get copies of my Service Record or copies of my DD 214 Discharge papers?
A. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis offers an electronic method for veterans to obtain documents from their official record that is permanently stored in St. Louis. NPRC has a web-based application system, which can be accessed at


  • Use the online military personnel records request system to create a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative’s, military personnel records. You may use this system if you are:
  • If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete and mail the Standard Form 180 (SF180) or write a letter to request records. You can obtain the SF180 from this same web site.
  • A military veteran or next of kin may use either the online application system or mail the SF180.

The point of contact is the


Navy Liaison Office, Room 3475, N-34

Military Personnel Records

National Personnel Records Center

9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132

Phone 314-538-3135.


Requests must be submitted in writing using Standard Form 180.  You can call to request a copy of SF180 or you may download it from their website at:

Q. I need to purchase some uniforms items for an upcoming ceremony. Where can I order them?

A. Active duty and retired personnel can order uniforms and components through the Navy Exchange Uniform Support Center at 1-800-368-4088. Personnel who did not retire from the service can also get uniform components through the Navy Exchange, but must be able to produce a DD214 or other proof of service.

Q. I'd like to contact someone about an award my ship earned, but which I never received. Who can I ask about this?

A.      The point of contact is:

Chief of Naval Operations
Awards and Special Projects Branch (Code N09B33)
2000 Navy Pentagon
Washington, DC 20350-2000

Q. Who do I ask about whether or not I can wear my Navy uniform to ceremonies after I leave the Navy?

A. The point of contact is the

Navy Uniform Board
Code N09BU
2 Navy Annex
Washington, DC 20370

Phone 703-614-5075/6

Q. How would I go about locating a person who is on active duty in the Navy?
A. The Bureau of Naval Personnel has a web site at This is a good place to start.

Q. A Navy retired friend of mine recently passed away and his widow is trying to find out where to call for information on benefits. Where should she call?

A. We suggest starting with Retired Activities information for Navy (1-800-255-8950) or for Marines (1-800-336-4649).

Q. Where can I call to find information on POW/MIA issues?

A. Some points of contact are: Department of Defense POW/MIA Affairs (703-602-2102); National League of Families of American Prisoners Missing in Southeast Asia (202-223-6846); Task Force Omega, Inc. (602-979-5651); VVA National POW/MIA Committee (202-628 2700 ext.118); and the Advocacy and Intelligence Index for POW/MIA (516 567-9057).

Q. Where can I find a listing of all Navy reunion groups?

A. There is no single source of information on reunion groups; however, the Navy Memorial is attempting to become a comprehensive source of information. We now have a listing of approximately 3,400 groups and the last known point of contact for them. When the groups keep us advised, we update this list to include where their next reunion is being held. If you're looking for a specific group, you can try searching at:

Q. I'm trying to locate a phone number for Arlington National Cemetery. Can you help me?

General Information for Arlington Cemetery is 703-697-2131; Cemetery Administrator can be reached at 703-695-3191; and Burial Arrangements can be reached at 703-695 3250/3255.

Q. Where's a good place to get general information about the Navy online?

A. The Navy web site at is a good source of general information and has links to many other related areas.

Q. Is it possible to get a flag flown over the Navy Memorial?
A. Yes, Contact:


United States Navy Memorial

701 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Suite 123

Washington, DC 20004-2608

Attn: Flag Coordinator.

Q. Where can I find out information about flying flags at other memorials?

A. Take a look at the Navy's website at and look under Ceremonies. There is information on flying flags at many different places.

Q. Where can I get information on Burials At Sea?

A. The Navy's Mortuary Affairs Office can be contacted at 1-800-876-1131.